Saturday, March 21, 2009

What Is Lucid Dreaming?

Lucid dreaming is being conscious in a dream.

There are different levels of lucidity however. An example of a low level of lucidity may be when you are aware you are dreaming, but you do not have complete control over your dream. You don't truly understand that everything around you is not real and is just the thoughts accumulated in your head. Some things that aren't true in the real world you may accept. A high level of lucidity would be truly understanding that everything around you is not real. Understanding that you have complete control over every aspect around you.

Some people don't understand how you can be lucid, but still not have control over your dreams. Well, once you experience it, you will completely understand. At low levels of lucidity you often do one of the following:

1. Wake up from the dream (if it's a nightmare).
2. Realize you are lucid but decide to just experience the dream.
3. Realize it is a dream but don't grasp the concept of what a dream is.

For example, I once had a dream where I was at a party. The party was taking place at a friend's house and I walked upstairs with one of my friends. When we walked upstairs it was my house and I realized, I must be dreaming. After talking to my friend we walked through my house and I found a CD player. I clicked play and it started displaying weird symbols. I thought to myself, "that's strange... that doesn't usually happen. Well it must just be because I'm dreaming." I was lucid. I understood that I was dreaming. But I did not have control because I did not realize that a dream means nothing is real.

So now you know what lucid dreaming is, and I bet you've got 100 more questions than the one we started with. Well luckily the how and why will be coming soon. And soon after you read those basics I'll start posting some advanced tools. So keep on watching my blog and hopefully you'll be lucid soon.

No comments:

Post a Comment